A handful of my very favorite personal highlights of a great year --
Professional: Taking NATIVE AMERICAN SON on the road
- Charlottesville, VA: Speaking at the terrific Ragged Mountain Running Shop during the Virginia Festival of the Book
- Los Angeles, CA: Appearing on the "Beyond the Icon" panel with Richard Schickel, Yunte Huang and Leslie Brody at the Los Angeles Times Festival of the Book at USC
- Oklahoma City, OK: Being keynote speaker at the Jim Thorpe Association's Leadership Luncheon -- and selling LOTS of books
- New York City: Speaking to the Actors' Fund in the venerable Milton Berle Room of the Friar's Club
- Atlantic City, NJ: Speaking at the annual Pop Lloyd Negro League Celebration and having the privilege of meeting several former Negro League players and hearing their wonderful stories
- Feedback: Hearing, all year, from discerning readers such as Douglas Brinkley, how much they enjoyed NATIVE AMERICAN SON.
- Awards: Winning the annual research awards from both SABR (baseball) and PFRA (pro football) - the stat guys who know EVERYTHING about their respective sports.
Personal: Friends, Family and Community
- Deepening old friendships
- Making many new ones
- Being with my son, my daughter, and my two-year-old grandson
- Living in and loving NYC, Westchester County, NY and Rockbridge County, VA = perfect trio.
On to 2012...